Wednesday, October 20, 2010
De Wereld Morgen: Demonstration as a result of the police violence during the No Border Camp (Translated)
Demonstration as a result of the police violence during the No Border Camp.
(Original Dutch here - thanks to Ann Bynens for another wonderful translation!)
Today, October 16th 2010 a demonstration was held at the Hallepoort in Brussels as a result of the police violence during the Border Camp.
The demonstration in which about 700 people participated, was peaceful, (read: today the police did not beat up any activists) but with a clear message: the police violence from September 25th until October 2nd is intolerable! Hundreds of arrested people were being mistreated (physically and mentally) and/or sexually intimidated,...
In the last couple of weeks Brussels received a multitude of international events, like the European demonstration against saving measures with 80000 participants, and the 'No Border Camp', which expressed resistance against the European migration policy and demands open borders.
In the course of these activities, some serious breaches to the right of protest and the right of freedom of speech took place. Nevertheless these rights are guaranteed by the constitution.
Hundreds of people were "preventatively" arrested by order services (police). Additionally, several testimonies prove that the police used physical and psychological violence during the arrests. Even journalists were threatened or even arrested by the police. Bovendien blijkt uit verschillende getuigenissen dat de politie tijdens de duur van de arrestatie fysiek en psychologisch geweld gebruikte.
On Wednesday, October 29th the participants of the No Border Camp wanted to join the European demonstration. On their way to the meeting point the demonstrators were "preventatively" arrested, in the streets and in the subway. Those who were able to join in the demonstration, were surrounded in the area of the Hallepoort and violently arrested by the police. Result: 300 "preventative" administrative arrests.
A demonstration was supposed to be held on Friday, October 1st at 7PM near the Brussels Midi station. While no incident gave way for a police intervention, demonstrators and coincidental passer-by's were arrested (about 150 arrests).
The administrative arrests were made based on a gathering prohibition for groups larger than 5 people, that was issued by the mayors of Anderlecht, Sint-Gillis and Vorst (Forest). However, the police arrested everyone in front of the Brussels Midi station who looked "young" or "alternative".
These random arrests resulted in violence at the police station: sexual intimidation and inhuman treatments (beatings, refusal of access to water and sanitary facilities,...). Inacceptable acts.
Call for demonstration and demands
We, signatories, accuse the random "preventative" arrests based on appearance that took place when people were trying to exercise their right of demonstration. We accuse the violence used by the order services (police) to treat these people.
We call upon everyone who is concerned about the respect for these fundamental human rights to participate in a peaceful gathering on October 16th at 3PM at the Hallepoort to demand:
* clearing out of the responsibilities in these serious events
* for the department of justice to put a spotlight on the violence and the mistreatment of protesters
* the right of demonstration, of freedom of speech and of physical integrity to be respected.
Peace Action, Attac Liège, Attac-ULB, Brussels, Had To Be Secular, Climate and Social Justice (CJS), Artivist Collective, Committee for the Cancellation of Third World Debt - Belgium (CADTM-Belgium) Committee for Freedom of Expression and Association (Clea), Coalition Against Raids, and for the Expulsion Adjustment (create), Ecolo-ULB, Disobedience Action Change (DAC), Civil Disobedience Canada (DCB), Equality, Front of the Left (PC, CRL, PSL, Velorution, CAP, PH), ULB FGTB Students, Young Anticapitaliste (JAC), the Workers Communist League (CAL), League of Human Rights (LDH), League for Human Rights, Movement Against Racism, Xenophobia and Antisemitism (MRAX), The Political Movement objectors growth (COPD), Workers' Party of Belgium (PTB), Union of Progressive Jews of Belgium (UPJB), Peace Action
All photos of this demo:
https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/232
https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/303
- Http: / / www.youtube.com/v/-IU7PIk6kV4? Hl = en & fs = 1
- Http: / / www.youtube.com / watch? V = 1qIgF9IVQiI
- Http: / / www.youtube.com / watch? V = ihBYy6cWi7w
- Http: / / www.youtube.com / watch? V = ra0b6ZrE6f4
- Http: / / www.archive.org / details / Clown_a_la_manif
- Http: / / www.archive.org / details / gare_du_midi
- Http: / / www.youtube.com / watch? V = 0NQfRsQRhnQ
Press release, League of Human Rights and Lay Brussels:
- Http: / / www.liguedh.be
JOC Press Release from:
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/187
Press Release of PC-Wallonia Brussels:
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/24
Letter of FGTB union representative:
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/303
Press Release of FGTB Wallonia:
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/287
Parliamentary Question from Zoe Genot:
- Http: / / www.zoegenot.be / In-line-of-the-Euro-demonstration-and-the-No.html
COPD's press release:
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/367
Other Testimony is Indymedia Brussels:
About the police violence of September 26:
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/113 # comment-13
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/112
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/123
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/116
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/115
About the Police Arrest and violence of September 29:
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/176
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/184
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/153
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/187
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/167
About the Arrest and police abuse of October 1:
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/218
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/243
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/240
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/252
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/207
- Https: / / bxl.indymedia.org/articles/264
Steenokkerzeel Movie 1
Steenokkerzeel Movie 2
Photo Report Steenokkerzeel
Preventive Police European No Border Camp Demonstration Participation
Police Violence at European demo
Another police brutality "during the European demonstration
And more police brutality
Climate Action Camp IS Campaigning to head BP
Police do not let the No Border Camp in peace
About fashion police, trash bags and civil-Dietrich Muylaert
According Turtelboom There Is Nothing Wrong
Demo video of October 2nd
No Border Camp Cdn finally send a message
FGTB Wallonia condamner police brutality
Pluto author Arrested in Belgium and Tortured
"No Border Action Against Activists Necessary and efficient" by Christophe Callewaert
Read the postponement by Michael Neal
Report by Marian Coppieters: